At Boutique Japan, our very own specialization is actually helping travelers which believe trips is all about special experience, not simply sightseeing or checking items off a listing.
Nevertheless when you’re planning a trip to Japan, it can be hard to discover which locations can be worth seeing, and which locations to skip. After all, some preferred knowledge are actually beneficial and surpass the excitement, while some are simply just because touristy as they seem on Instagram.
If you’re interested in motivation on which place to go and what direction to go for a unforgettable Japan trip, I encourage the amazing areas and experience down the page. Some are much more famous, while others will allow you to hop out the beaten course (and inside Japanese country side).
Originally written in 2015, this blog post ended up being updated and republished on Sep 21, 2021.
To Tour or Not to Trip
Although we specialize in preparing personalized visits to Japan, we understand many people consider our web site to enable them to prepare their particular itineraries independently. Lots of the knowledge showcased below can be achieved without techniques, though most may be greatly improved with an enjoyable, local expert.
We discover from many travelers who may have had average tours before, and now we have it. Some basic things that tend to be more difficult than a boring, or worst, tips guide. In conjunction with visiting boutique and deluxe resorts and ryokans, perhaps the most important part of the team’s tasks are vetting courses and neighborhood professionals (there are many books throughout Japan, but few that happen to be experienced, flexible, and authentically interesting).
Needless to say, actually for tourists exactly who value outstanding guidelines, there is hours where you just need loosen up or explore yourself. This could suggest wandering around a charming region, men and women watching at a fashionable cafe, or taking pleasure in a spa cures. We capture this into account when designing their Japan itinerary, and indicates local gurus specifically where we imagine it’ll most enhance your experience.
Hopefully the information provide you with travel inspiration, whether you contact us for your travel or arrange by themselves!
Listed below are 30 distinctive and immersive experience available for the Japan bucket record:
- Take in and eat at an Izakaya
- Immerse in Treatment Onsen (Hot Springs)
- Enjoy Art & design regarding ways isle of Naoshima
- Shop on every night at a Tokyo Luxury resort
- Attend a Japanese Matsuri (Event)
- Test globally’s Finest Sushi & Sashimi
- Drive the Shinkansen (Bullet Train) Around Japan
- Stroll Through Arashiyama’s Bamboo Woodland
- Consume best Ramen in your life on a Ramen Deep plunge
- Stay at a Shukubo (Buddhist Temple hotels)
- Watch Sumo and Baseball
- Skiing or Snowboard Japan’s Legendary Dust
- Appreciate Sakura During Cherry Bloom Month
- Preferences Premium Nihonshu (Sake)
- Hike Through Japanese Country
- Experiences Night Life in Japan
- Routine Through Kyoto or Tokyo
- Trip Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine
- Consume Your Path Through Tsukiji’s Exterior Market
- Climb or Admire Fuji-san (Mount Fuji)
- Wonder at Japan’s Popular Architecture
- See Zen in a Japanese Outdoors
- Event Japanese Coffees Culture
- Savor Matcha, Genmaicha, and
- Check out a genuine Japanese Castle
- Wander off in Tokyo’s Fancy Backstreets
- Sip on Unique Japanese Whisky
- Experiences utopia from inside the Islands of Okinawa
- See the Popular Snowfall Monkeys in Nagano
- Obsess Over Japan’s World-Class Baked Goods
1. Take in and eat at an Izakaya
You’ll pick an amazing selection of culinary activities in Japan, but there’s nothing like eating and consuming at an izakaya.
Not only is it the right spot to sample a wide variety of Japanese dishes — from sashimi and deep-fried food, to tofu and seasonal veggie — meals and taking at an izakaya can a terrific way to socialize with neighbors. Kanpai!
2. Soak in recovery Onsen (Hot Springs)
Sopping in a remote onsen although the snow comes around you is one of the most magical experiences you could have in Japan, and renders braving the cold increasingly beneficial. It’s one of the favored reasons for winter season in Japan.
Along with a-stay in a conventional ryokan (Japanese-style inn), along with the makings of a memorable travel. For lots more ryokan inspiration, see our very own deluxe Ryokans & the Japanese Countryside trial journey.
3. enjoy artwork & buildings from the ways isle of Naoshima
For artwork lovers, the so-called art island, Naoshima, is a must-visit, with museums created by Tadao Ando and works by world-class painters from around the world. Remain at the museum-hotel Benesse Household, plus ensure that you go to the small nearby artwork isles of Teshima and Inujima.
4. Splurge on per night at a Tokyo Luxury Hotel
Tokyo houses several of Japan’s ideal accommodations. Luxury selection include Aman Tokyo, residence resort Tokyo, and HOSHINOYA Tokyo. Elegant boutique accommodation in Tokyo feature TRUNK, K5, and resort Ryumeikan Ochanomizu Honten.
There are numerous, many more (like, however, the Park Hyatt Tokyo generated famous in Sofia Coppola’s Lost in interpretation). With many enjoyable and delightful options, it is really worth splurging on a minumum of one nights at a deluxe Tokyo hotel.
If you possibly could, it’s additionally worth splurging on every night at a luxury ryokan in rural Japan, nicely!
5. go to a Japanese Matsuri (Festival)
If you wish to read Japan at their liveliest, a high-energy matsuri is the place to get it done! Japanese festivals (matsuri) are full of color, practice, and exuberance. Probably the most amazing feature Hokkaido’s Yuki Matsuri (Snow event), Shikoku’s boisterous Awa Odori dance festival, as well as the beautiful Gion Matsuri of Kyoto.